The Week of -55 Below Zero!


WILLIE IS FINE!!!!! During the cold spell Willie called to check in. It seems that he is sitting in the "banana belt" of Denali. His lowest temperature was only -30 below zero. He did not even realize that it was so much colder everywhere else in the area. He felt VERY lucky that he did not get the -50 below & the (-60 below that Healy got!)

Hello Everyone! I am so SORRY for the delay in a new update on Willie. I APOLOGIZE for any un-do stress and/or worry that I may have caused. Especially to Sonja Schmidt's Tri-Valley High School class in Healy. As you know, I was off to Fairbanks to pick up friends visiting from Florida. The temperatures kept dropping. Our mercury thermometer at our cabin showed a daily low of -55 Below Zero with highs only to -40 below zero. I was to return to Denali with my friends and update the blog, but I felt unsafe to drive the 130 miles down to Denali. We were Fairbanks "stranded" in the ICE FOG-- computer-less. I left the laptop in Denali. The temperatures did improve on Sunday night. But at this point, I had to stay in Fairbanks to get my friends to the airport and I had previous scheduled appointments on Monday & Tuesday. So I just got back to Denali. I wanted to write this as soon as possible to let you know what had happened and I hope you can understand. AGAIN I AM SO SORRY! Please, allow me to digest all the new blog comments & news from Willie. I will write back asap.

To the Tri-Valley class- as soon as Willie calls, I will ask him your questions & will post his answers on the blog.

PS. Annamarie & Cory- you 2 are TROOPERS! To handle -55 below zero from 81 degrees above! That's "only" a 136 degree difference! Thank you both for making the trip!


3 comments:

Unknown said...

Just want to say this expedition is the greatest thing I've ever heard of. Willie's nephew, Jamie, told me about the blog and I will be back everyday looking for updates. Good luck from N.Carolina.

Christine, Denali Alaska said...

Aaron,
Thank you for reading about Willie's journey. It is very fun to see who is reading this. We look forward to having Jamie here in Denali this summer. Thank you for the "Good Luck from N. Carolina"! We'll take it! And we appreciate it!:) Cheers, Christine

Wilderness Backpacking with the Marmot Alpinist said...

What an amazing blog! It is so exciting to read about such incredible Denali adventures. I was super excited to see the Marmot Alpinist Jacket in your gear list. How did the jacket work out for you?

Not many people get to see Denali except through tour bus windows or while they sip hot cider at a lodge, viewing the mountains. Glad to read this account!