Steger Mukluks

January 9, 2008
Toklat temperatures since midnight:
Max, -11 degrees F
Min, -17 F
Denali Education Center temperature at the Riverside Office at 8am:
-8 F

These are Arctic Weathermate Mukluks, made by Steger Mukluks in Ely, Minnesota. My feet are size 11 but the size of the Mukluks are 13 double wide. The extra space is needed to accommodate two felt liners underneath the tall felt bootliner which is part of the Mukluk. I have also worn two pairs of wool socks and would still have room for another if need be. The key to warm feet is to have lots of room in your Mukluks or boots, never tight.

I have been wearing these around for the past few weeks and they are toasty warm. The lower leather is made of Moosehide and it needs to be treated with a leather preservative to help shed water and melting snow. The great thing about the Mukluk system is the ability to take the felt liners out of the Mukluks at night and dry them off. This can be accomplished by hanging them in the tent and letting the woodstove dry them or if this doesn't work putting them in my sleeping bag overnight. My guess is that i will be putting the liners in my bag with me many nights so they are warm in the morning. Warm feet, fun times...cold feet, not so fun.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Willie-
What a wonderful and thoughtful way to share your up-coming adventure. Its going to be such an inspirational trip. Through your continued sharing ,like this, I'm sure it'll be inspiring for others.

Enjoy every moment - the good, the challenging and the quiet. You deserve it.
-David T.

Anonymous said...

Hi Willie: I met you in the bookstore today (1/15/08). Thank you for sharing this blog with me. I look forward to keeping up with your adventures!

May your trip be filled with wonder, mystery and sheer awe. And may you appreciate the questions that you may find as you seek the answers!

-Elissa

PS.. Happy Reading

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.