Willie Called Last Night- Day 3&4

Today is January 25, 2008
Toklat temperatures since midnight:
Max, 16 degrees F
Min, 9 F
Temperature at the Denali Education Center at 9:00 am: 3 F

Sorry for the delay in details of what Willie said, but the internet went down in Denali today & I couldn't finish the post. Here is what Willie said in his words:

January 22, Tuesday- Day 2
Savage Cabin to the Sanctuary Cabin
What happened was after we left each other, which was extremely hard & very sad. I started to pull the sled. Not feeling good about the whole decision. About 10 seconds out on the trail a flock of Redpolls surrounded me. Then not 10 feet farther a snowshoe hare came right up at my feet & ran in front of me down the trail. I took this to be a good sign & continued on. I got to the Savage River & it was icy. I got across the river and it was blowing so hard. I got around a little hillside and had to hunker down to get my bearings. For a little while I stayed in that spot, took a break, ate food & drank water. Then I went about 20 feet farther & thought I was walking on solid ice, but it gave through. I sunk into it with the sled & fell through the overflow. Feet & sled (it tipped over) all wet. THAT'S HOW IT STARTED!

I didn't hear from the mushers 'till I had hauled all the way below Primrose-- about 4 miles, 1/2 way to Sanctuary. The mushers showed up and Carmen took my sled & hooked it on and ran it up to Sanctuary. Sarah showed up next and said, Hey, ya want me to take your pack?" So, I snowshoed the rest of the way without the sled & pack. Just before I got to the cabin it was dark out & I heard a Great Horned Owl hooting. I hooted back & then the owl responded back. We hooted at each other for about 10 minutes before I went on to the cabin. I cooked the Jersey Jones recipe of shrimp & pineapple wrapped in bacon. Turns out that Krusty loves everything pineapple! We has a great night. Everyone felt really good.

January 23, Wednesday- Day 3
Sanctuary Cabin to Igloo Cabin
-25 Below F
I left early and skied up & over the ridge that goes from Sanctuary to the Teklanika River. The Tek was REALLY cold and REALLY windy again. Putting on my gear I needed my "skins" (skins go over your skis to stop you from sliding back. The skins will grip so you don't slide.) But they were in the sled with the mushers. So, I learned a lesson: I should have had my gear with me for travelin'... I was out on the Tek when Sarah showed up & said, "Hey, you want to get on." I threw my skis into the sled & got on one of the runners. I was on one side & Sarah was on the other. Not a minute later there was a dog fight that lasted about 2 seconds. But Orca, a really sweet dog was left with a bad gash on the nose & was bleeding, dripping big piles of blood. Sarah let Orca run free, and Orca ran for awhile right next to the sled. Then Orca took off into the woods. We had to track her. We had radio contact & it turns out that Orca was headed back towards Sanctuary. So we had to go ALL the way back to Sanctuary last night & sure enough Orca was back at the cabin. So another night at Sanctuary.

January 24, Thursday- Day 4
Sanctuary Cabin to Igloo-- AGAIN!
-32 Below F
It was -32 below this morning. Heard a lone wolf howling & saw an amazing sunrise. I skied back over the ridge again- a big ski day- to about 2/3rds the way in & Sarah caught up & gave me a ride to the Tek Bridge area. I then walked most of the remaining 3 miles to the Igloo Cabin...

When I spoke to Willie on Thursday night they were all at the Igloo Cabin. He said he is getting "trail hard". The hardest day was the 1st day. The last 2 have been "easy". Everything is going really good. He's feeling really strong. He's feeling really good to be out there and it is AMAZING!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HI Willie,
Just checked out your blog- so many sausages! we'll keep checking in, lots of warmth in hugs we are sending your way!
love
kate, adam, and evelyn

willie said...

Hi Guys!
Thanks for posting a comment. It's fun to know who is following along. I'm glad I'm not sleeping in the tent with Willie after he eats all those sausages! :) I'll be in Frbks Feb. 3rd. Friends from Florida are coming up. I'd love to see you guys. Cheers, Christine